MISTAKES HOME SELLERS COMMONLY MAKE
Home is Priced Too High
- By far, the worst selling mistake a seller can make is to put the wrong price on the home. If a home is priced too high, buyers won’t look at it. If its priced too low sellers are giving money away.
- Pricing a home to sell is an art. Part of the market value is based on comparable sales, but other factors to consider include market movement, demand, the home’s location and its condition. It is absolutely essential that you engage the services of an experienced PROVEN Agent.
Appointing an Inexperienced Agent
- You can appoint a good agent or a mediocre agent. Their commission rates will cost you EXACTLY the same amount of money
- Ask every Agent you interview for a list of their last 10 comparative sales in your immediate area. If an Agent is inexperienced in selling houses in a similar price bracket to yours, chances are that the inexperience will cost you money. If an inexperienced Agent sells your property for $100,000 less than its true value the drop in commission to the Agent is only $2500 whereas you lose $97,500.
The Home does not present well.
- Getting your house ready for market goes beyond making the beds and washing the dirty dishes.
- Some homes need updating and some quick fixes. Doing repairs before resale can boost chances of selling quickly. If items are broken or buyers see evidence of badly needed maintenance, they may just wonder what else is wrong.
- We all take pride in our homes, we like artwork on the walls and to be surrounded by photos of the people we love. In fact we often think this gives the house plenty of appeal to visitors. This is a mistake when it comes to selling. People need to visualize how they can make the space their own.Get rid of the photos and replace the art with something more neutral. Before you let any potential buyer into your home you need to let in the light – remember the lighter the better.
- Pets are a big NO NO when it comes to sellers. They have to be taken away or hidden when open homes or inspections are conducted.
- Ask your experienced Agent for advice on how to maximize your chances to make a sale.
Not making the home available for inspection.
- When you’re selling your home, ensuring it is always available for inspection can be an inconvenience and sellers often make the mistake of being inflexible.
- Not making your home available at every opportunity is sending away a large part of the market.
- Many sellers refuse the first offer – which could be a big mistake. First offers often create a false sense of confidence in the seller. They think if one person has made an offer, there will surely be more and better offers to follow.
- SOMETIMES the first offer is often the best offer you will get.
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR HOUSE FOR SALE.
1. Disassociate yourself with your home.
Say to yourself “This is not my home, it is a house, a product to be sold”.
Make the mental decision to “let go” of your emotions and focus on the fact that soon this house will no longer be yours.
Picture yourself handing over the keys to the new owner.
Say goodbye to every room.
Look to the future.
2. De Personalise
Pack up those family photographs and family heirlooms. You don’t want buyers
to be distracted – you want them to imagine their own photos on the walls and they can’t do that if yours are there. You don’t want any buyer to ask “I wonder what type of people live in this home” – you want them to say “I can see myself living here”.
3. De Clutter
Think of this process as a head start on the packing you will need to do anyway.
4. Re arrange Wardrobes and Kitchen Cupboards.
Buyers love to snoop and will open wardrobes and cupboards. Now imagine what a buyer will think if they see everything organized. It says you have probably taken good care of the rest of the house as well.
5. Rent a Storage Unit
Almost every home presents better with less furniture. Remove extra furniture and put it in storage. Leave just enough furniture in each room to show the rooms purpose.
6. Remove/replace favorite items
If you are taking window coverings or built in appliances with you – remove them now. If a buyer never sees a particular item they will never want it.. Pack these items away now, and replace them if necessary.
7. Make Minor repairs
Patch any holes in walls, fix any leaks taps, fix doors that don’t close properly, make sure all light bulbs are working. Consider painting any odd colored walls.
8. Make the House Sparkle
Wash windows inside and out, clean cobwebs, dust furniture, ceiling fan blades and light fittings, clean dirty grout, hang fresh towels, clean and air out any musty smelling areas, replace worn rugs, make sure no pet odours, polish taps and mirrors.
Check every room and imagine how the house will look to a buyer.
10. Street Appeal
Keep footpaths neat, mow the lawn, trim bushes, make sure your street number can be clearly read.
11. Termite Inspection
A recent termite inspection report is suggested
Your Agent will assist with staging the property to ensure its perfect presentation to the market place. Our professional photographer will attend to the finishing touches.
13. Trust your Agent
Whilst you will have your own opinions on the value of your property, you should trust your Agent's opinion. Your Agent sells property for a living and knows the market place
and current values. REMEMBER - Usually the ONLY reason a property does not sell is that it is priced incorrectly.
GETTING THE BEST PRICE FOR YOUR HOME
EFFECTIVE marketing is the key to selling your home quickly and getting the highest price. Aggressive, effective marketing of our Client’s homes by every available medium is how Platinum Private has become the leading Agent in the Carindale area. Its our job to assure that you get as many qualified offers as possible, to allow you to receive the highest price possible. Platinum Private has developed UNIQUE marketing strategies THAT WORK and are very affordable. Ask us for full details today.
One of the most important elements of marketing your home effectively is setting the right price. If the price is too high you won’t get any offers and your home will take too long too sell. Set it too low and you cheat yourself by not getting your home’s full fair value. As experts in the Carindale market we are constantly monitoring the marketing and setting area home prices almost every single day. We work closely with you to assure that everything possible is done to get you the highest possible price, in the time frame you need.
The condition and appearance of your home are critical factors in getting the best price for your home. We will personally walk through your home with you and advise you of what you can do to properly stage your home most effectively. There are usually things we can point out that are easy and inexpensive yet go a long way towards triggering those buying emotions.
As YOUR agent we will negotiate furiously on your behalf throughout the whole process to ensure your best interests are protected. Real Estate negotiations and contracts can be intimidating in their complexity. Most people have almost no experience in these negotiations. After all how often do you buy or sell a house.
As top real estate professionals getting you the BEST TERMS AND PRICES in all negotiations is simply part of our JOB